This Mocha Oreo Trifles recipe is a fun, easy and quick dessert for two. By using store-bought cake, you can whip this recipe up in ten minutes or less! Crumbled Oreo cookies are folded into a fresh mocha whipped cream, and layered in between pieces of chocolate cake.
One of the most popular recipes on my blog is Mocha Oreo No Bake Dessert. It was inspired by my husband's favorite flavor of ice cream! I love that recipe, but it does require some pre-planning because it needs to sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours. Sometimes I just don't have time for that!
So, I started thinking that it would be a really good idea to create a dessert that uses the same mocha Oreo flavors, but in a super fast and easy version. So, I created this recipe for Mocha Oreo Trifles, which, if using store-bought or leftover cake, can be ready in 10 minutes or less! And, it serves two, which is perfect for a romantic dinner date at home. I made these trifles for my husband this past Valentine's Day (after Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta for the main course). Let's just say my husband is a really lucky guy, if I do say so myself! 🙂
Here's what you'll need to make these quick and easy Mocha Oreo Trifles:
- Chocolate cake: this can be store-bought, homemade, leftover, or from a box. Any kind will work! On Valentine's Day, I used a store-bought chocolate bundt cake, and this time, I just whipped up a box cake. You only need 2 cups of cake pieces, which works out to be a little less than ¼ of a box cake mix. So, this would actually be a great use for leftover cake!
- Heavy whipping cream: this will be used to make a mocha Oreo filling in between the layers of chocolate cake.
- Oreos: of course!
- Granulated sugar: just a bit to sweeten the mocha whipped cream
- Cocoa powder: this will get mixed into the whipped cream to add a chocolate flavor.
- Instant coffee: this provides the coffee element to the mocha whipped cream. It's important to use "instant" coffee, not regular coffee grinds. Instant coffee will dissolve completely into the heavy cream. You can also use instant espresso powder, but the coffee flavor may be a bit more intense (sounds delicious to me, a coffee addict).
These Mocha Oreo Trifles are very easy to make, so I only have a couple quick tips for you today!
- Make sure that you mix together the sugar, cocoa, and instant coffee before adding in the whipped cream. This will make it easier to get rid of any cocoa lumps you may have. You could of course sift the cocoa, but I'm usually too lazy to do that. I just squish the lumps against the side of the bowl with a fork and that works pretty well!
- When you are about half-way through whipping the mocha cream, stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl. This will help re-incorporate any lumps of coffee or cocoa that haven't gotten fully mixed in yet.
- When you are mixing in the crushed Oreos to the mocha whipped cream, fold gently, don't stir! This will help the whipped cream stay nice and fluffy.
- I like to cut the cake into relatively large pieces (about 1 inch or so). Some will break up into smaller crumbles as you add them to the glass, but it's nice to have a little bit of added texture in the cake layers.
I hope this super quick and easy recipe brings you and a special friend or loved one much joy! If you love easy and quick dessert recipes, here are a couple other favorite recipes for you to try:
- Almond Raspberry Ricotta Parfaits: another quick and easy recipe for two, with only five ingredients!
- Honey Peanut Butter Banana Mug Cake: some of my favorite ingredients, all in one delicious mug cake!
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Trifle: this one takes a little bit longer to make but is super easy because it uses box cake mix. Another beautiful and romantic dessert that would be great for date night or Valentine's Day.
If you’ve tried this recipe for Mocha Oreo Trifles, please let me know what you thought about it in the comments down below, I would love to hear from you! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see more delicious recipes from Nibble and Dine!Print
Crushed Oreos are folded into fresh mocha whipped cream, and layered in between cubes of chocolate cake. When using store-bought or ready made cake, total prep time is 10 minutes or less!
- 2 cups chocolate cake cut into 1 inch cubes (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 - 8 Oreos, divided
1. Whisk together the sugar, instant coffee, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl, breaking up any lumps in the cocoa powder.
2. Add in the heavy whipping cream. Beat with an electric hand mixer on high for about 1 - 2 minutes, or until the whipped cream is just beginning to thicken. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spoon. Continue beating just until stiff peaks have formed.
3. Crush 4 of the Oreos into large pieces using your hands. Gently fold them into the mocha whipped cream using a large spoon. Do not overmix.
4. Layer the cake and mocha Oreo whipped cream into two medium glasses (about 12 oz.), starting with cake on the bottom, then whipped cream. Repeat the layers one more time. Top each trifle with 1 - 2 crushed Oreos. Serve immediately.
The prep time listed is assuming you have the chocolate cake already prepared, either baked ahead of time or store-bought. This is a great use for leftover cake scraps! If you are baking your own cake, make sure it is completely cooled before assembling the trifles.
Keywords: mocha dessert, Oreo dessert, mocha Oreo dessert, mocha trifle, Oreo trifle, mocha Oreo trifle, no bake dessert, mocha no bake dessert, Oreo no bake dessert, dessert for two