After enjoying a few of these Apple Cinnamon Mug Cakes last week, I am really getting into mug cakes again, and this honey peanut butter banana mug cake recipe is one of my absolute favorites. It's super moist thanks to the banana and honey and strikes the perfect balance of easy yet exciting. It does take a bit more time than a basic vanilla or chocolate mug cake, but most of the ingredients are kitchen staples, and you can still go from no cake 🙁 to "YAY! cake!" in less than 7 minutes. Plus, there’s a warm, honey-sweetened and slightly salty peanut butter center, need I say more?
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through the link, it won’t cost you more but I may earn a small commission. I only recommend products that I personally use and love!
Honey Peanut Butter Banana Mug Cake Ingredients
The ingredients are mostly pantry staples as I mentioned: flour, honey, baking powder, milk, oil, salt, vanilla, banana and peanut butter. There is actually no sugar in this recipe. Between the honey and banana (ripe are the best of course!), the cake is plenty sweet. And, if you're like me, you will definitely want to drizzle on some extra honey after it's cooked, just for good measure!
How to Make Honey Peanut Butter Banana Mug Cake
Like most mug cakes, this one is easy to make. But, it is slightly more involved than just mixing all the ingredients together. It's totally worth the bit of extra effort though I promise!
Step 1: Mix the Dry Ingredients
Just dump in the flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix together directly in a large microwave safe mug. Or, alternatively - if you want to unmold the mug cake to serve it, grease the mug and mix the ingredients in a separate bowl.
Step 2: Add in the Wet Ingredients
Now pour in the oil, 1 tablespoon honey, milk and vanilla. Mix well until most of the lumps are gone (but don't overmix, stop when the batter is mostly smooth).
Here is what it looks like when it's all mixed:
Step 3: Add the Chopped Banana
This is simple enough, just dump in the banana and give a quick stir. I recommend not chopping your banana too finely though. Otherwise the pieces just sort of melt and you don't get nice, defined chunks in the final cake. If you are mixing your batter in a separate bowl, at this point transfer it into the greased mug.
By the way, the measuring cups and spoons I'm using here are the OXO Good Grips Measuring Cups and Spoons Set and I absolutely love them! They are sturdy and have nice handles that are easy to grip (makes sense since they are literally called "Good Grips"!).
Step 4: Add the Peanut Butter Honey Filling
In a separate small bowl, mix the remaining 1 tablespoon of honey, peanut butter, and a good pinch of salt.
Take all of the peanut butter honey mixture onto the tablespoon and plop it down into the middle of your batter.
Lift the spoon off the peanut butter glob. Then use the back of the spoon to push the peanut butter down into the batter. It's ok if some of the peanut butter peeks out of the top. It should look something like this:
Step 5: Microwave and Enjoy Your Delicious Honey Peanut Butter Banana Mug Cake!
Microwave on high for 90 seconds and check the cake, if the top is still a little bit wet, microwave for another 15 seconds or until the top is firm. If you want to unmold the cake (and greased the mug beforehand!), run a knife around the edges of the cake first to help it slide out easily. Top the cake with additional chopped banana and a drizzle of honey if you like and enjoy!
If you're into mug cakes, check out some of my other favorites below!
Note: This post was originally published on November 7, 2017 and updated on June 5, 2019.Print
A deliciously moist honey banana mug cake surrounds a warm, slightly salty honey peanut butter center.
- 5 tablespoon. flour
- ½ teaspoon. baking powder
- 2 pinches salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon. vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon. milk
- ¼ teaspoon. vanilla
- 2 tablespoon. honey, divided
- ¼ c. chopped banana (about ½ small banana)
- 2 tablespoon. peanut butter
- extra honey and chopped banana for topping (optional)
- Mix flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt in large, microwave safe mug (see note). Mix in oil, milk, 1 tablespoon honey and vanilla until smooth. Add in chopped banana, stir gently to combine.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoon peanut butter and generous pinch of salt in a separate bowl.
- Scoop honey peanut butter mixture out of the bowl and place in the middle of the cake batter. Press down on the peanut butter with the back of a spoon so the peanut butter sinks down into the batter (peanut butter doesn't need to be completely covered).
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds, or until the top of the cake is firm (after the first 90 seconds, microwave in 15 second increments until cake is cooked).
- If unmolding cake, run a knife around the edges of the cake before inverting onto a plate. Serve with additional chopped banana and honey drizzled on top (optional).
If you want to unmold the mug cake onto a plate rather than eating directly out of the mug, mix the batter in a separate bowl rather than in the mug itself. Grease the mug before adding batter to the mug.
Keywords: honey banana mug cake, honey peanut butter mug cake, peanut butter banana mug cake