As you know from these posts for Honey Peanut Butter Banana Mug Cake and Apple Cinnamon Mug Cake, I love a quick dessert. This mug cake is not only quick and easy, but it’s super moist and indulgent. What makes this recipe special is the combination of chocolate chips and coffee in the bottom of the mug. Once microwaved, this turns into a velvety, fudgy sauce that mixes perfectly with the mocha cake on top.
Assembling this mug cake couldn’t be easier. Just combine chocolate chips and coffee in the bottom of a microwave-safe mug until it turns into a runny, smooth sauce. If your coffee is fresh and hot, this will be super fast, just stir and you’re there! If you’re working with leftover cold coffee, just microwave the mixture for 10 seconds before stirring. Once you’ve got your chocolate sauce in the bottom of the mug, pour in the cake mixture and microwave for 90 seconds. Don’t worry if your chocolate coffee mixture in the bottom seems too watery. After microwaving, it turns into a thick, velvety smooth sauce.
A couple tips to keep down on the mess – the mug cake splattered a bit during microwaving due to the moisture of the coffee sauce, so just cover the mug with a paper towel or plate during cooking to avoid that. And make sure to use a large mug! A small mug may risk overflowing in the microwave.Print
An easy and fast fudgy mocha mug cake recipe with a velvety smooth mocha sauce surprise hiding at the bottom of the mug!
- 5 tbsp. coffee, divided
- 3 tbsp. chocolate chips
- ¼ c. flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Add 3 tbsp. coffee and 3 tbsp. chocolate chips into the bottom of a large microwave-safe mug. If your coffee is hot, stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted and smooth. If your coffee is cold, microwave the mug for 10 seconds and then stir to combine until smooth.
- In a separate small bowl, stir to combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, pinch of salt and cocoa powder.
- Add the milk, remaining 2 tbsp. coffee, and oil, stir until most of the lumps are gone.
- Pour the cake batter into the mug, do not stir.
- Place a paper towel or plate over the mug to avoid splatter and microwave on high for 90 seconds, or until the top of the cake is set.