This fudgy mocha mug cake has a velvety smooth mocha sauce surprise hiding at the bottom of the mug!
- 5 tablespoons (74 ml) brewed coffee, divided
- 3 tablespoons (38 g) chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (36 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- Add 3 tablespoons (44 ml) coffee and the chocolate chips into the bottom of a large, microwave-safe mug. If your coffee is hot, stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted and smooth. If your coffee is cold, microwave the chocolate and coffee in the mug for 10 seconds on high, and then stir to combine until smooth. (If needed, you can microwave again for 10 additional seconds.)
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, pinch of salt and cocoa powder.
- Add the milk, remaining 2 tablespoons coffee, and oil to the dry ingredients; whisk until no lumps remain, but do not overmix.
- Pour the cake batter into the mug, on top of the chocolate and coffee mixture. Do not stir.
- Place a folded paper towel over the mug to avoid splatter and microwave on high for 90 seconds. Check the top of the mug cake; if some wet batter remains, microwave again in 10 second increments, checking in between, until the cake is cooked through.
Be sure to use a microwave-safe mug that holds at least 12 ounces to ensure the mug cake does not overflow.
You can use any type of chocolate chips you prefer; for an intense chocolatey experience, try bittersweet chocolate chips!
Keywords: mug cake, mocha mug cake, chocolate mug cake, coffee mug cake