Sometimes you need breakfast in a hurry, and not just cereal will do. For those weekend days when you want something hearty, but don’t have all morning, this quick and easy recipe for home fries is perfect!
This recipe uses the microwave as a short cut, so you can get these potatoes on the table in less than 20 minutes. (I named these potatoes 17 Minute Easy “Cheater” Home Fries because it took me 17 minutes moving at a comfortable pace. Depending on your speed it may take you a little more or even a little less than that!) Even though they are quick to put together, by using a cast-iron pan to finish the cooking, they are still perfectly crispy and delicious. Feel free to add in whatever seasonings you like – dried rosemary, dried basil, and garlic powder would all be good here.
And, the best part is that there are a few chunks of down time during this recipe, where you can just let the potatoes do their thing! You can scramble up some eggs and toast up some bread in that time, and the hearty weekend breakfast you’ve been craving will be ready before you know it.
Some tips for this recipe: be careful when removing your bowl of potatoes from the microwave, it will be very hot! And since the potatoes have been steaming in the microwave, they may splatter a bit when you add them to the hot cast iron pan. I found it helps to add them quickly and then press them down with a spatula right away. Finally, it’s important to press the potatoes down firmly once they are in the pan, this will help ensure a good crust forms on the bottom of the potatoes while they are cooking. And remember, NO STIRRING before it’s time! This will also make sure the home fries get nice and brown.Print
This quick and easy recipe for home fries uses the microwave to cut down on cook time, but by finishing them in a cast iron skillet, the potatoes still crisp up to a nice golden brown!
- 1 large russet potato
- ½ c. diced onion
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- Dice potato (no need to peel) into ½ inch cubes. Place in microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice the onion and preheat a cast-iron or other heavy-bottom skillet on medium-low heat.
- Remove the potatoes from the microwave and pierce one with a knife – the knife should slide in without much resistance. If not, microwave for another minute.
- Add vegetable oil to the hot pan and swirl around to coat the bottom of the pan. Add in the potatoes in a single layer, push down with a spatula to ensure the most surface area of the potatoes is in contact with the pan. Sprinkle the spices and diced onion over the top. Let the potatoes cook for 5 minutes, do not stir.
- After 5 minutes, add the butter and stir the potatoes until the butter is mostly melted. Press the potatoes down again with the spatula and let cook for another 3 minutes without touching the pan. Serve immediately for ultimate crispiness!