This quick and easy recipe for home fries uses the microwave to cut down on cook time, but by finishing them in a cast iron skillet, the potatoes still crisp up to a nice golden brown!
- 1 large russet potato
- ½ c. diced onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt, or salt to taste (see note)
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- Dice potato (no need to peel) into ½ inch cubes. Place in microwave-safe bowl, cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap or a microwave-safe lid with vents. If using plastic wrap, make sure to leave a small space uncovered to act as a vent and that there is at least a 1 inch gap between the potatoes and the plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice the onion and preheat a cast-iron or other heavy-bottom skillet on medium-low heat.
- Remove the potatoes from the microwave (be careful when removing from the microwave, the bowl will be very hot!). Pierce one of the potatoes with a knife – the knife should slide in without much resistance. If not, microwave for another minute.
- Add vegetable oil to the hot pan and swirl around to coat the bottom of the pan. Add in the potatoes in a single layer, push down firmly with a spatula to ensure the most surface area of the potatoes is in contact with the pan. Sprinkle the spices and diced onion over the top.
- Let the potatoes cook for 5 minutes, do not stir. (If the potatoes are getting brown too quickly, turn the heat down.)
- After 5 minutes, add the butter and stir the potatoes until the butter is mostly melted. Press the potatoes down again firmly with the spatula and let cook for another 3 minutes or until potatoes have developed a brown crust. Do not stir during cooking time. Serve immediately for ultimate crispiness!
This amount of salt was the perfect amount for my tastes, but you may prefer your potatoes a little less salty. If you’re not sure, add less at first, then taste the potatoes after they are done cooking and add a sprinkle more if needed.
Keywords: easy home fries, fast home fries, microwave home fries, breakfast potatoes, easy breakfast potatoes, fast breakfast potatoes, microwave breakfast potatoes