Are you tired of cookies but still want to give out an edible holiday gift everyone will love? Or, do you need an easy and fun snack to serve at your next party? If so, try my recipe for Chocolate Potato Chip Pretzel Mix! As the name suggests, you’ve got pretzels, potato chips, AND caramel corn, all drizzled with two kinds of chocolate! The chocolate helps everything to form delightful little hunks of salty and sweet goodness that your friends and family will go wild for.
And, this recipe only has a few ingredients and takes only a few simple steps to make. If you’re like me, you will be finding excuses to make this addictive party snack!
Chocolate Potato Chip Pretzel Mix Ingredients
As I mentioned, you only need a few ingredients to make this delicious party mix:
- Ruffled potato chips: I’ve used plain potato chips and the ruffled kind. In my opinion, the ruffled chips are better because they hold up more. But, if you’ve got regular on hand, they will still taste great.
- Caramel corn: this time I used Cracker Jacks because that’s what I could find, but any store-bought caramel corn will work. I really like Fiddle Faddle if you can find it!
- Dark chocolate chips: or you can use milk chocolate if you prefer.
- White chocolate chips: these are used as more of an accent for the contrasting color. But, you can also substitute peanut butter or butterscotch chips if you want to mix it up.
- Pretzels: I used regular mini sized pretzels. Sticks or even larger-sized pretzels would work as long as they are thin. Just avoid the really thick, large hard pretzels. We want small, easy to much pieces!
- Sprinkles: these are optional but add a fun, colorful touch. Use any type or color you like.
How to Get Large Clusters
The best part of this mix is snagging a large, chocolatey cluster to munch on. Here are a couple tips to ensure you have lots of those large pieces in your party mix.
- To ensure the mix forms clumps, you will need to crush up the potato chips and pretzels a little bit. But, not too much! You still want nice, big pieces to munch on. This image gives you a good idea of the size you are going for:
- Keep the mixture compact on the baking sheet when you spread it out. If you see lots of gaps in the mixture, press it closer together. You are looking for about a 1 inch thickness on the baking sheet.
- To make less of a mess when mixing and spreading out the mixture, use two large spoons!
Other Helpful Tips
- If you are using sprinkles, I recommend using a bit more than you think you will need. Some will end up not sticking or falling off when you break the mix into chunks.
- I also recommend cooling the mix in the fridge rather than letting it sit out at room temperature. The mix only takes about 1 – 1.5 hours to firm up in the fridge, but can take hours at room temperature.
- Finally, because the layer of dark chocolate is thin in places, it can melt easily if it gets warm. Therefore, if you are going to package up the mix for gifts, it would be a good idea to line the container with parchment or wax paper to keep things neat.
If you’ve tried this recipe for Chocolate Potato Chip Pretzel Mix, please let me know what you thought about it in the comments down below, I would love to hear from you! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see more delicious recipes from Nibble and Dine!
Do you need some more festive holiday recipes? Check out these favorites!
- Thumbprint Cookies: these are filled with cranberry sauce and drizzled with sugar glaze and make a great holiday gift.
- Cranberry Brie Tarts: garnished with fresh sage, this simple 4 ingredient recipe is a holiday crowd-pleaser!
- Persimmon Cake: topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. A great way to use this delicious winter fruit!
An easy and festive party mix that makes a great snack or gift! Potato chips, pretzels, and caramel corn are coated in two kinds of chocolate.
- 4 oz. ruffled potato chips
- 4 oz. pretzels
- 8 oz. caramel corn
- 8 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 4 oz. white chocolate chips
- sprinkles (optional)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment or wax paper.
- Using your hands, gently crush the pretzels and potato chips. There should be some large and smaller pieces.
- Spread the pretzels, crushed potato chips and caramel corn evenly on the two lined baking sheets.
- Place the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 20 seconds. Stir the chocolate and microwave again for another 20 seconds. Continue to microwave in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate evenly across the pretzels, chips and caramel corn. Using two large spoons, stir the ingredients on each baking sheet until the chocolate is evenly distributed. Using the spoons again, spread the mixture on each baking sheet in an even, tightly compacted layer about 1 inch thick.
- Place the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Drizzle the white chocolate across the spread out party mix. Do not stir.
- If using, immediately distribute the sprinkles evenly over the top of the party mix.
- Place the baking sheets in the fridge to set, about 1 to 1.5 hours. Once the chocolate has hardened fully, break the party mix into chunks and store in airtight containers. Party mix can be stored in the fridge or at room temperature.
Keywords: chocolate party mix, chocolate snack mix, sweet and savory snack mix, chocolate pretzel snack mix, chocolate potato chip snack mix, chocolate popcorn snack mix