Turkey burgers are so easy and quick to make using the air fryer! These air fryer turkey burgers can be made with only ten minutes prep time, and they are ready in under 30 minutes total. They are also super moist thanks to the addition of chopped onion and a touch of mayo.
The air fryer is the perfect tool for quick and easy weeknight dinners (try my air fryer chicken nuggets and air fryer fingerling potatoes!). And turkey burgers are no exception. You can whip up these easy air fryer turkey burgers in less than 30 minutes, with only a handful of basic ingredients.
Cooking turkey burgers in the air fryer also ensures they turn out nice and brown, with no need to heat up the whole oven or get grease spatters all over the stovetop. And because ground turkey is leaner than most ground beef, this air fryer turkey burger recipe includes lots of finely chopped onion and a hint of mayo to add both moisture and flavor.
If you've never cooked turkey burgers in the air fryer, give it a try! I think this delicious and easy air fryer turkey burger recipe will soon become a staple in your weeknight dinner rotation.
- Ground turkey: this recipe uses 93% lean ground turkey; this is the most common type found in US grocery stores. You could use 99% lean ground turkey if you really want to, but the turkey burgers will be less moist.
- Salt: I prefer using kosher salt for seasoning burgers. The larger crystals are easier to sprinkle and see on the surface of the burger. But you can easily substitute table salt if you prefer.
- Bread crumbs: you just need regular, unseasoned bread crumbs. But, any type of bread crumb you have in the cabinet can also be used.
Step by step photos
1. The first step to making these air fryer turkey burgers is to finely chop the onion. Make sure the pieces are very small so they incorporate well into the ground turkey mixture.
2. After the onion is finely chopped, add it to a medium bowl. Also add the bread crumbs, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and garlic powder (don't add the salt at this stage!).
Mix these ingredients together so everything is evenly combined. (At this stage, you can also go ahead and preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F.)
3. The next step is to add in the ground turkey. Mix it together with the other ingredients. The easiest way I know how to do this is to use clean hands! Mix it together just until everything is combined. Do not overmix, or the burgers may get a little tough.
4. Next, we will shape the turkey burgers. To make this a little easier, I like to first pat down the turkey burger mixture in the bowl, and then use my hand to make a cross on the surface of the meat. This visually divides the turkey into four even sections.
Shape each portion into a burger about ¾ inches thick. Use your hands to pat down an indent into the middle of each burger. This will keep the turkey burgers flat while they cook in the air fryer.
And, season each side of the burger with kosher (or table) salt, to taste.
5. Now we are almost ready to cook the turkey burgers in the air fryer! Spray the cooking surface of the preheated air fryer with oil spray. (See the tips and tricks section for info on what kind of oil spray is best!).
Then, very carefully add the turkey burgers to the air fryer.
6. Let the turkey burgers cook in the air fryer for 6 minutes. Then, flip the burgers over with a spatula. Let them cook for an additional 6 minutes. Check the internal temp of the burgers with an instant-read thermometer. If they have not yet reached 165 degrees F, cook for an additional 1 - 2 minutes, or until they reach the target temperature.
Remove the turkey burgers from the air fryer. Let them rest for 5 minutes before enjoying with your favorite toppings. (If you want to add cheese to the burgers, see the tips and tricks section below!)
Tips and tricks
- Want to turn your air fryer turkey burger into a cheeseburger? After the turkey burgers are done cooking and the air fryer has shut off, add a slice of cheese on top of each burger. Then close the air fryer again. Let the burgers sit in the air fryer for about 1 minute, or until the cheese has melted.
- When shopping for a cooking spray to use in the air fryer, be aware that many contain soy lecithin. Soy lecithin can cause a sticky buildup on nonstick surfaces that degrades the surface over time. If this is a concern for you, look for a cooking spray without soy lecithin, or, use an oil mister.
- If you don't have cooking spray, instead you can brush oil on the cooking surface of the air fryer using a silicone (heat proof) basting or pastry brush.
- Are you wondering why we added salt on the outside of the turkey burgers, rather than mixing it in? This article on salting ground beef burgers shows that adding salt on the outside, rather than mixing it in, keeps the texture of the burger more tender. I tested this turkey burger recipe both ways, and salting the outside definitely kept the burger more tender. (I know there is a little salt in mayo and Worcestershire sauce that gets mixed in, but not nearly as much as would be added to season the meat!)
- This air fryer turkey burger recipe was tested using the Instant Vortex Plus 6-in-1 6 Quart Air Fryer. Depending on the air fryer you are using, cook times may vary.
Additions and substitutions
- Craving burgers but don't have any ground turkey in the house? You can try making this turkey burger recipe using ground chicken or lean ground pork instead, or a combination.
- There are endless seasoning possibilities here! Try adding in dried herbs such as oregano or thyme. Other seasonings that would be delicious include cayenne, smoked paprika, dried mustard, or chili powder.
- If you like the more pungent flavor of fresh garlic, swap 1 clove crushed garlic for the garlic powder.
- Turkey burgers really call out for some fresh veggies on top - try it with tomato, onion, lettuce, sprouts, and/or sliced avocado.
- For extra moisture and flavor, you will also want to add some kind of condiment or sauce to the burger. This could be as simple as ketchup and mustard, or my favorite addition - guacamole!
- To really amp up the flavor, try serving your air fryer turkey burgers with this incredibly delicious avocado lime ranch dressing.
- In terms of sides, these turkey burgers would go great with any potato side dish, such as French fries, oven-roasted cottage fries, or tater tots. Or, go simple and serve the burgers with a green salad or roasted veggies.
Turkey burgers are easy and quick to cook in the air fryer. You only need to cook them for 6 minutes per side at 360 degrees F. Depending on the model of air fryer you are using, you may need to add 1 - 2 minutes to that cook time. Make sure your turkey burgers reach the safe internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Yes, you can shape these turkey burgers one day ahead and keep them tightly wrapped in the fridge until ready to use. If making them ahead of time, don't season them with salt until right before you are ready to cook them.
These turkey burgers can also be frozen, individually wrapped in plastic wrap, for 3 - 4 months. Again, do not season the outside of the turkey burgers with salt before freezing.
Frozen turkey burgers can be cooked in the air fryer directly from the freezer. First, preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F. Then, spray oil on the cooking surface of the air fryer. Remove the turkey burgers from the freezer and season both sides with salt to taste.
Cook the turkey burgers in the preheated air fryer for 16 - 17 minutes, or until the burgers reach the internal temperature of 165 degrees. Flip the turkey burgers halfway through cooking.
Most of the time, turkey burgers have much less fat than a traditional beef burger. To keep turkey burgers from getting dry, add moist ingredients such as finely chopped onion, and ingredients that add in some additional fat, such as mayo.
It's also important not to overcook the turkey burgers. Remove them from the heat once they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Resting for 5 minutes after cooking will also help the burgers stay nice and juicy!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a star rating and/or review in the comments section below, I would love to hear from you! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. And sign up for my weekly newsletter to get recipes delivered straight to you!Print
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
This is an easy turkey burger cooked in the air fryer! These turkey burgers are flavorful and moist, thanks to lots of finely chopped onion and a touch of mayo.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Rest time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main course, entree
- Method: air fry
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound (454 g) 93% lean ground turkey
- ½ cup (66 g) finely chopped onion (about ½ medium onion)
- ⅓ cup (37 g) plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- cooking spray (see notes 1 - 2)
- Finely chop the onion. Add the onion, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and black pepper into a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F for 3 - 5 minutes.
- While the air fryer is preheating, add the ground turkey to the bowl. Mix by hand just until the ingredients are evenly combined, do not overmix.
- Shape the turkey mixture into 4 patties about ¾ inch (1.9 cm) thick. Make an indent in the center of each patty; this helps the burgers stay flat while they air fry. Season both sides of the burgers with kosher salt (or regular table salt) to taste.
- Spray the cooking surface of the air fryer with cooking spray (see notes 1 - 2). Carefully add the burgers to the preheated air fryer and cook for 6 minutes. Then, flip the burgers and cook for 6 more minutes. Check the temperature of the burgers using an instant-read thermometer. If the burgers have not yet reached a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F, cook for an additional 1 - 2 minutes, or until they reach 165 degrees F.
- Remove the turkey burgers from the air fryer and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
If you don't have cooking spray, you can brush oil on the cooking surface of the air fryer using a silicone (heatproof) basting or pastry brush.
When choosing a cooking spray, please be aware that many have soy lecithin, which can cause a sticky buildup that degrades nonstick surfaces over time. If you're concerned about this, look for a cooking spray without soy lecithin, or use an oil mister.
To add cheese to the turkey burgers: after cooking, stop the air fryer but leave the turkey burgers inside the air fryer drawer. Add a slice of cheese on top of each burger and close the air fryer. Let the burgers sit in the air fryer for about 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted.
Uncooked turkey burgers can be individually wrapped and frozen for 3 - 4 months. If freezing the burgers, do not season the outside with salt before freezing. When ready to cook, preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F, then spray the cooking surface with oil. Unwrap the burgers and season both sides with salt to taste. Air fry the burgers for 16 - 17 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Flip the burgers halfway through cooking.
This recipe was tested using the Instant Vortex Plus 6-in-1 6 Quart Air Fryer. Depending on the air fryer you are using, cook times may vary.
The nutrition information below is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator; the nutrition counts of your dish will vary based on the brand and exact amounts of ingredients used. This nutrition estimate should not be considered a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice. See our full disclosure policy.
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 321 mg
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 22.4 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg
Keywords: air fryer turkey burgers, turkey burgers in air fryer
Delicious, soft and moist. Quick an easy and yet such a perfect Happy Meal for sure. I love it.
Thank you so much for your feedback! So glad you enjoyed 🙂
I've done a lot with my airfryer but never burgers. These turned out great!
That's wonderful Amy thanks so much! I love my air fryer 🙂
I love cooking chicken burgers in my air fryer so I had to give these turkey ones a try. Adding mayo to them was a new twist for me and they did turn out moist and delicious. A great recipe to have on hand when dinner needs to be on the table ASAP.
Thank you Linda, I'm really glad that you enjoyed the turkey burgers!
We made these turkey burgers yesterday for dinner, and OMG!!! They were incredible!!! The meat is so tender and juicy, and the flavour is just spot on! Thank you!
Thanks so much Anna, I'm happy you enjoyed the turkey burgers!
This was my first time making turkey burgers. I usually use beef or lamb. They were really good and I topped them with guacamole as you suggested. Excellent idea!
Thanks so much! The guacamole goes so well with turkey burgers I think 🙂
I've never been fond of turkey burgers because they are usually tough and dry. Making them with your recipe in the air fryer was a life changing moment. They were moist, tender and delicious! This is the only way I will ever make turkey burgers again.
Aw thank you so much Dennis, I'm really happy you enjoyed them 🙂
I love making turkey burgers but they were even better in the air fryer. Made a delicious dinner!
Thank you so much! I love my air fryer for a quick and easy dinner 🙂
I love finding new recipes for the air fryer. These turkey burgers turned out great and I will cook them this way from now on.
Thank you Colleen, I love air fryer recipes too, always so quick and easy 🙂
Such a great recipe! My daughter and I made it as she is such a fan of her air fryer. The mayo kept the burgers super moist.
I love the air fryer too! I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed the burgers 🙂
Loreto and Nicoletta
This is great, Turkey is a great ingredient for burgers. Healthy. Lean and very tadty with your spices and breadcrumbs. A wonderful use of the air fryer!😋👍👌❤️🙏
Thank you so much I'm glad you liked the recipe 🙂