This strawberry shortcake mug cake is fluffy, sweet, and refreshing, and best of all, it’s really easy and fast to make!
- 4 strawberries
- 6 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 5 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- pinch salt
- whipped cream (see note)
- Quarter the strawberries, or, if they are very large, cut them into chunks. Place them in a small bowl and sprinkle 2 tsp. sugar over top. Stir until the sugar begins to dissolve, set aside.
- Place butter into a large, microwave safe mug and microwave on high for 30 – 45 seconds or until butter is mostly melted. Remove from microwave and swirl butter around the bottom and sides of the mug.
- Add the remaining ingredients except whipped cream to the mug and stir until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds on high. Remove from microwave and check that the top of the mug is dry. If there is still wet batter on the top of the cake, microwave for another 10 seconds.
- Run a knife along the sides of the cake, place a plate on top of the mug and flip over to release the cake onto the plate. Cut the cake in half horizontally and top with half of the whipped cream. Add about half of the strawberries on top. Place the other half of the cake on top of the strawberries. Add the rest of your whipped cream and strawberries on top.
If you want to make your own whipped cream, an immersion (stick) blender is an easy way to make a small amount. Add some heavy whipping cream to a tall, narrow container (at least enough to cover the head of the blender). Add a big pinch of sugar and blend until whipped. You can do this step while the cake is microwaving!
Keywords: strawberry mug cake, strawberry short cake, strawberry shortcake mug cake, microwave strawberry cake