Deliciously tender and flavorful shredded chicken seasoned with green chiles, chili powder, cumin and garlic. Perfect for easy meal prep lunches!
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 7 oz. can diced green chiles (mild or hot)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro (optional)
- Cut chicken breasts into large chunks (approximately into thirds for small chicken breasts and quarters for large chicken breasts).
- Add chicken pieces to the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker. Add the salt, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin on top. Use tongs to stir the chicken and spices until all of the spices have evenly coated the chicken.
- Evenly distribute the spiced-covered chicken pieces into one layer in the bottom of the slow cooker. (Chicken pieces should not be piled on top of each other.) Pour the green chiles, including the liquid from the can, evenly over the chicken.
- Cook for 3 hours on low or until the internal temperature of the chicken pieces reaches 165 degrees. (See “How Long Should I Cook the Chicken?” in the blog post for a discussion of cooking time variations.)
- Remove the chicken and chiles from the crock pot with a slotted spoon and place on a cutting board to cool down. Do not discard the cooking liquid in the crock pot! While chicken is cooling, chop the cilantro and cut lime in half.
- When cool enough to handle, shred or chop the chicken and add to a medium bowl. Squeeze the lime juice into the bowl and add in the cilantro. Add in as much liquid from the crock pot as you like to moisten the chicken to your personal taste.
Keywords: slow cooker shredded chicken, crock pot shredded chicken, easy slow cooker chicken, slow cooker chile chicken, crock pot chile chicken, Mexican slow cooker chicken, Mexican crock pot chicken, crock pot chicken breast, slow cooker chicken breast