Sloppy Joe Sliders are an easy to make, quick and tasty game day snack or casual party appetizer!
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. neutral oil (canola, vegetable, etc.)
- 1 lb. 93% lean beef
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c. water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 slider buns or 24 mini “party” rolls (for mini sliders)
- 6 slices American cheese (can substitute other types of cheese)
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For mini sliders using party rolls: Place the party rolls on a cutting board, leaving them attached. Using a large serrated knife, cut the party rolls in half horizontally. Set aside. Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper or tin foil, leaving some to overhang on the sides. (See note.)
- Brush bottom of the (lined, for mini sliders) 9 x 13 inch pan with a thin layer of melted butter, reserve the remaining melted butter for the top of the buns. Set pan and remaining butter aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until beginning to brown, breaking up into small chunks with a wooden spoon. Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Add the finely diced sweet onion and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 3 – 4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat down to medium-low. Add the ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Stir to combine and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Taste the sloppy Joe filling and add more salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Place the bottom half of the slider buns or party rolls on the butter-brushed pan. Do not separate the bottom rolls from each other.
- Distribute the sloppy Joe filling across the bottom buns. Top with sliced cheese and then the slider bun/party roll tops (do not separate tops from each other).
- Brush the tops with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds (optional).
- Bake in the preheated oven until buns are browned and cheese is melted, 9 – 11 minutes.
- For mini sliders: Use the overhanging parchment paper/tin foil to lift the mini sloppy Joe sliders out of the pan, remove them to a cutting board. Cut the mini sloppy Joe sliders apart using the large serrated knife. For regular sliders: remove from the pan individually by hand or using a spatula. If needed, cut apart with the edge of a spatula or small knife.
- Serve immediately.
Lining the pan with parchment paper or tin foil with some overhang on the sides makes it very easy to lift out the mini sliders from the pan so they can be cut apart before serving. If you are using regular-sized slider buns, feel free to line the pan in the same manner, but it’s not necessary since the buns are larger and can be removed more easily from the pan one-by-one.
Keywords: sloppy joes, easy sloppy joes, sloppy joe sliders, mini sloppy joes, mini sloppy joe sliders, easy sliders, game day snacks