This easy recipe for crispy and brown panko baked chicken can be made with only 7 basic ingredients!
- 20 ounces (567 g) boneless skinless chicken breast (about 2 - 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 1/4 cups (87 g) plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (56 g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons (29 g) Dijon mustard (or your favorite type)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to season chicken (see note 1)
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place an oven-safe wire rack on top of a metal baking sheet (see note 2). Spray the wire rack with the cooking spray. Set aside.
- If necessary, trim any fat from the chicken breasts. With a large knife, slice each chicken breast in half horizontally, to create two thinner pieces of chicken. (If your chicken breasts are very small (under 1 inch / 2.5 cm thick) you can skip this step). Season each side of the chicken pieces with salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, add the mayonnaise, mustard, and water. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate shallow bowl, add the panko, paprika, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine.
- Dip one piece of chicken in the mayonnaise mixture, making sure it is coated on all sides. Pick the chicken piece up and allow the excess to drip off back into the bowl. Place the chicken into the bowl of panko, and flip it over to coat the other side. Press the panko onto the chicken to ensure it is evenly coated with crumbs all over. Place the breaded chicken onto the prepared wire rack/baking sheet.
- Repeat the breading process from step 6 on the remaining pieces of chicken.
- Generously spray the tops of the chicken pieces with the cooking spray. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 20 - 22 minutes, or until the center of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. To ensure even browning, rotate the baking sheet front to back halfway through cooking.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe was developed using Diamond Crystal kosher salt. To substitute Morton kosher or regular table salt, use only 3/4 teaspoon in the panko mixture.
If you don't have a wire rack, you can cook the chicken directly on the metal baking sheet.
My pieces of chicken were about 3/4 inch (1.9 cm) thick after slicing in half. Cook times will vary based on how thick your chicken pieces are and your own oven.
The nutrition information below was calculated to include 1 1/2 teaspoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt, 5 seconds of cooking spray, and 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, as I always have about half leftover after dipping. This information is an estimate only, provided by an online nutrition calculator. The nutrition counts of your dish will vary based on the brand and exact amounts of ingredients used. This nutrition estimate should not be considered a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice. See our full disclosure policy.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 681 mg
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.1 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 34.5 g
- Cholesterol: 85 mg
Keywords: panko baked chicken, panko chicken