An intensely tangy and luscious dessert that's super easy to make! White boxed cake is filled with tart Key lime filling and topped with whipped cream.
1. Prepare the white cake in a 9 x 13 inch pan, as directed on the box. Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes (for make ahead instructions, see note 1).
2. Using the handle of a wooden spoon that's approximately 1/2 inch in diameter, poke holes in the cake about 1 inch apart. (The large diameter holes are important - if the holes are too small the filling won't penetrate the cake and will just sit on top.) Also, make sure to poke the handle all the way down to the bottom of the cake and twist before pulling back up.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and lime zest. Add the Key lime juice and optional food coloring, whisk to combine. The mixture will thicken immediately after the lime juice is added; don't worry, this is normal!
4. Immediately pour the Key lime filling over the cake and, using a rubber spatula, spread the filling across the surface and down around the sides of the cake, making sure all the holes are filled.
5. Loosely cover the cake with tin foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to 1 day. During this time, the filling will further soak into the cake and firm up. Once the filling has firmed up and is no longer wet on the surface of the cake, the whipped cream topping can be applied.
6. To make the whipped cream topping, add the heavy whipping cream and granulated sugar to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat with hand beaters or the whip attachment of the stand mixer until whipped cream has formed stiff peaks (about 3 - 4 minutes on high speed).
7. Spread the whipped cream on the cake. Serve immediately, garnished with additional lime zest and slices of lime (optional).
Keywords: Key lime poke cake, lime poke cake, Key lime cake, lime cake
Find it online: https://nibbleanddine.com/key-lime-poke-cake/