Make these adorable Halloween Ice Cream Sundaes from a few basic ingredients. Have a blast creating funny witch faces with your favorite Halloween candies!
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 sugar ice cream cones
- 2 chocolate or plain Pizzelle cookies
- pistachio ice cream (or your favorite green colored ice cream)
- chocolate ice cream
- assorted candies and/or nuts (candy googly eyes, licorice laces, m & ms, etc.)
- Place the chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 15 seconds, stir, and microwave again for an additional 15 seconds. Continue to microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted. Before moving on to step 2, make sure the chocolate is cool enough to touch (it’s likely some chocolate may get on your fingers!).
- Use a pastry brush to paint the first ice cream cone with melted chocolate, but leave the very tip of the cone unpainted.
- Paint the edge of the ice cream cone with chocolate and, using the unpainted tip as a handle, place the cone in the middle of a Pizzelle.
- Paint the top and outside edge of the Pizzelle with chocolate, making sure to add a generous amount of melted chocolate to the seam edge between the Pizzelle and cone to seal the joint between the two. Paint the tip of the ice cream cone.
- Repeat this process with the second cone and Pizzelle.
- Allow the chocolate on the hats to fully set, either at room temperature or fridge. This should take around 90 minutes at room temperature or 30 minutes in the fridge.
- When you are ready to serve the sundaes, add a scoop of chocolate ice cream to the bottom of a sundae glass or narrow mug. Add a scoop of pistachio on top. Decorate the scoop of pistachio with assorted candies and/or nuts to make a face. Top the sundae with the chocolate witch hat and serve immediately.
I like to place the wet chocolate hats on a piece of parchment paper, this helps keep the hats from sticking to the surface while they are setting. You could also use a piece of wax paper or a silicone baking mat.
If you want to place the hats into the fridge to set, place the parchment paper on a small tray before adding the hats; this will allow you to move the hats easily into the fridge without disturbing the wet chocolate.
The witch hats can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
The flavors of ice cream listed here are only a suggestion, feel free to use your own favorite flavors!
Keywords: Halloween dessert, Halloween ice cream sundae, Halloween ice cream, witch ice cream sundae