An easy-to-make soup flavored with garlic, ginger, cumin and paprika, with a squeeze of fresh lime. A hearty and healthy soup that's vegan friendly.
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch (19 mm) cubes (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 large (or 2 small) onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil (or your preferred cooking oil)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste (see note 1)
- one 15 ounce (425 g) can black beans, undrained
- one 14.5 ounce (411 g) can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 - 3 cups (473 - 710 ml) stock/broth, any type (for vegan soup, use vegetable broth)
- 1/2 - 1 lime
- Prep the produce: peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 3/4 inch (1.9 cm) cubes. Chop the onion. Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add the paprika, cumin, salt, ginger and garlic; continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and spices are fragrant. (If needed, turn the heat down to avoid burning the spices.)
- Add 2 cups broth/stock to the pot, plus the cubed sweet potatoes, black beans, and fire roasted tomatoes. (Add the entire can of black beans and fire roasted tomatoes; do not drain.) Stir to combine.
- Raise the heat to high to bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to maintain a gentle boil and cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 12 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. After each stir, press down the sweet potatoes with a wooden spoon to ensure they are covered by the liquid. If too much liquid is being absorbed while the soup is boiling, add up to one additional cup of stock/broth.
- Turn off the heat and squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime into the soup. Stir and taste the soup; add additional salt and/or lime juice if needed.
- Serve immediately, garnished with additional wedges of lime (optional).
This recipe uses kosher salt, which is coarse grained. If substituting with fine grain salt, start with 1 teaspoon salt instead of the 1 1/2 teaspoon called for, and add more at the end if needed.
Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 - 4 days in a covered container.
The nutrition information below is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator, and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice. See our full nutrition disclosure policy.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 639 mg
- Fat: 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 74.8 g
- Fiber: 15.7 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: sweet potato black bean soup, sweet potato soup, black bean soup