An easy-to-make soup flavored with garlic, ginger, cumin and paprika, with a squeeze of fresh lime. A hearty and healthy soup that’s gluten free and vegan friendly.
- 1 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 large (or 2 small) onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or your preferred cooking oil)
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 can black beans, undrained
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 c. stock/broth, any type (for vegan soup, use vegetable broth)
- 1/2 – 1 lime
1. Prep the produce: peel and cube the sweet potatoes. Dice the onion. Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger.
2. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the paprika, cumin, salt, ginger and garlic, continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and spices are fragrant.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, except the lime. (Add entire can of black beans and fire roasted tomatoes, do not drain.) Stir to combine.
4. Raise the heat to high to bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to maintain a gentle boil and cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 12 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (After stirring, press down the sweet potatoes with a wooden spoon to ensure they are covered by the liquid.)
5. Turn off the heat and squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime into the soup. Stir and taste the soup; add additional salt and/or lime juice if needed.
6. Serve immediately; leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days in a covered container.
Keywords: sweet potato black bean soup, sweet potato soup, easy soup, vegan soup, gluten free soup, easy dinner, easy main course