You can make this delicious, thick and hearty smoky black bean soup with only a few pantry ingredients and in less than 20 minutes!
- 2 tbsp. oil (olive or vegetable)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika (see note)
- 1 ½ tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- 2 cans black beans (do not drain)
- 1 c. water
- Topping ideas (optional): diced onion, hot sauce, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, squeeze of lime
- Heat the oil in a stock pot or dutch oven on medium heat. When oil is hot, add in the diced onion. Saute for 1 – 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in the smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomato paste, stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the black beans (undrained), and water. Stir to combine. Turn heat down to medium low, let simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until soup has thickened slightly.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt and/or pepper if necessary. Add your favorite topping and enjoy!
If you don’t have smoked paprika, substitute 2 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. cumin and a pinch of cayenne (to taste).
Keywords: black beans, soup