Sausage and cheese filling encased in flaky biscuit dough. The perfect party food!
- 8 oz. fresh sausage (not pre-cooked)
- 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 c. shredded cheese (any type that melts – cheddar, muenster, Gruyere, etc.), divided
- three 6 oz. cans biscuit dough, 15 biscuits total (see note)
- 1 egg
- flour for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick silicone liners.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. If needed, remove the sausage from the casing, then add the sausage and finely chopped onion to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 – 6 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon to break the sausage into small chunks while cooking.
- Add the cream cheese, 1 1/2 c. shredded cheese, sausage and onion to a medium bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until evenly combined, set aside.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl. Add a splash of water (about 1 tbsp.) and mix with a fork, set aside.
- On a large work surface, dust the top and bottom of a biscuit with flour. With a rolling pin, roll out the biscuit into an oval shape about 1/8 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining biscuits, using additional flour on the biscuits and rolling pin if needed to avoid sticking.
- Take about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sausage and cheese mixture and compress it into an oval shape. Place it on one side of a rolled out biscuit, about 3/4 inch from the edge.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the egg mixture onto the 3/4 inch biscuit edge closest to the filling. Fold the other edge of the biscuit over the filling and line up the edges of the biscuit dough.
- Gently press out any air that may have gotten trapped in the space between the filling and the edges of the biscuit dough. Press a fork all along the seam to crimp the biscuit dough together. If the fork is sticking, dip it in flour before crimping. Repeat the filling, sealing and crimping process with the remaining biscuits.
- Place the turnovers onto the lined baking sheets. Brush the tops and sides of each turnover with the egg mixture. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/4 c. shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 17 – 19 minutes or until the tops are a deep golden brown and the bottoms of each turnover are dark brown.
You need the smallest size biscuit dough, not the “Grands” or “jumbo” type. I used the 6 oz. can of Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits with Flaky Layers. Each can of those has 5 biscuits and you will need three cans, for a total of 15 biscuits. If you use a larger or smaller biscuit, you will need to adjust the amount of filling and bake time accordingly.
Keywords: sausage turnovers, cheese turnovers, sausage and cheese turnovers, sausage and cheese appetizer, sausage appetizer