An easy and quick recipe for red beans and rice using canned kidney beans and bacon for extra richness and smoky flavor. Ready in only 30 minutes!
1. Start preparing the white rice according to the directions on the package. If the rice is ready before the beans, just turn the burner off and let the rice sit with the lid on until ready to use.
2. Chop the bacon into large chunks. Heat a large (12") skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally with a spatula or wooden spoon, until the bacon is browned and most of the fat has rendered out. This should take about 9 - 10 minutes. If the bacon is browning too quickly, turn the heat down.
3. While the bacon is cooking, dice the onion (and bell pepper, if using).
4. Once the bacon is cooked, drain most of the grease, leaving about 1 - 2 tbsp. in the pan (leaving some grease in the pan is optional but I recommend it!). Return the pan to the heat and add the chopped vegetables, plus the salt, pepper, and spices. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
5. Add the tomato paste and continue to cook for another minute, stirring the paste around so it is evenly incorporated with the other ingredients and no lumps of tomato paste remain.
6. Add the water and two cans of undrained kidney beans to the pan. Scrape up any brown bits stuck to the pan with your wooden spoon or spatula. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce is thickened to your liking. Turn down the heat if necessary to maintain the gentle simmer.
7. Taste the beans and add more salt and/or pepper if needed. Serve in bowls over the prepared white rice.
I used kosher salt for this recipe, which is coarser than fine-grain salt. If using fine salt, you will likely need less than the 1 tsp. called for. The amount of salt you need also depends on how salty your bacon is (or other type of meat if substituting), and your personal tastes. You may want to start with less salt, then add until the dish is seasoned to your liking.
Keywords: red beans and rice, easy red beans and rice, fast red beans and rice, quick red beans and rice, canned red beans and rice, red beans and rice with bacon, pantry dinner, pantry recipes