An easy side dish that only takes about 30 minutes to make, all on one sheet pan. These potatoes and green beans will round out any roast dinner or other main course perfectly!
- 1 pound (454 grams) red potatoes (see note)
- 12 ounces (340 grams) green beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste), divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh herbs (suggested herbs: rosemary and/or thyme)
- Preheat the oven to 425° F (220° C).
- Rinse the potatoes and dry thoroughly. Cut each potato into wedges, about 1 inch thick at the widest part. Place the potatoes onto a baking sheet.
- Finely chop the fresh herbs.
- Drizzle the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Toss the potatoes to evenly coat them in oil. Sprinkle half of the kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and chopped fresh herbs on top of the potatoes. If needed, toss the potatoes again to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Spread the potatoes out in an even layer across the baking sheet. For even better browning, arrange them cut side down. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are roasting, rinse and trim the green beans (if not using pre-trimmed green beans).
- After 10 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and gently stir the potatoes with a spatula. The potatoes should be just beginning to brown. Move the potatoes to one side of the baking sheet, but keep them in a single layer. They should take up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the baking sheet.
- Add the green beans to the open side of the baking sheet. Drizzle the remaining oil over the green beans and toss with the spatula or tongs to evenly coat the green beans in oil. (Be careful because the baking sheet will be hot!).
- Sprinkle the remaining kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and herbs over the green beans. If needed, toss again to evenly distribute the seasonings. Spread the green beans into a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 13 - 15 minutes, or until the potatoes cooked through and the green beans are tender. Gently toss together the green beans and potatoes and sprinkle with additional kosher salt and pepper (optional), and serve immediately.
You can use any other type of thin-skinned waxy potato; another good option is Yukon Gold.
If you don't have fresh herbs, you can substitute 2 teaspoons dried herbs. Crush the dried herbs up in your hand before sprinkling to release extra flavor!
Leftovers will keep in the fridge, covered, for 3 - 4 days. Reheat in a skillet, or in a 350° F/180° C oven for 5 - 6 minutes until heated through.
Keywords: potatoes and green beans, roasted potatoes and green beans, sheet pan potatoes and green beans