An easy casserole ready in under 1 hour, chock-full of chicken and all your favorite pizza flavors!
- 3 1/2 cups shredded chicken (from 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 1 pound low moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 14 ounces pizza sauce
- 2 ounces pepperoni
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Using your hands, shred the rotisserie chicken into medium-sized pieces (make sure to exclude all skin and bones from the shredded chicken). Measure out 3 1/2 cups of chicken, set aside.
- If needed, shred the mozzarella. Then separate out 1 1/2 c. of the cheese, which will be used to top the casserole. Set the cheese aside.
- Cut the onion and pepper into thin strips. Chop the mushrooms.
- Add the oil to a large skillet set over high heat (see note about pan size). Swirl the pan around so the oil coats the bottom of the pan, then add the onion, mushroom and bell pepper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and 1/4 tsp. of dried oregano. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the moisture from the vegetables has been released and then cooked off, and the vegetables are tender, about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the pizza sauce and chicken. Cook for an additional 1 – 2 minutes, stirring to disperse the sauce evenly throughout the chicken and vegetables.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the mozzarella cheese, minus the 1 1/2 c. reserved cheese.
- Add the chicken mixture to a 2 quart capacity casserole dish and spread it out so the top is smooth. Top with the reserved cheese and pepperoni. Sprinkle on the remaining 1/4 tsp. dried oregano.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the edges of the casserole are bubbly and the pepperoni is browned, about 20 minutes.
You will use the skillet to saute the vegetables, and then the chicken, cheese, and pizza sauce will be stirred in at the end. Since the pan needs to hold a large volume, use the largest skillet you have – I used a 12 inch skillet which was just large enough.
Keywords: pizza chicken casserole, chicken casserole, pizza casserole, rotisserie chicken casserole, easy chicken casserole