An airy and light trifle recipe with angel food cake, layered with fluffy white chocolate whipped cream, sweetened mango chunks and macadamia nuts.
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 5 cups mango chunks (about 4 large mangoes)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark), packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces macadamia nuts (about 1/2 cup)
- 12 ounces prepared angel food cake (about 8 cups of torn pieces)
- Stir together the white chocolate chips and 2/3 cup of the heavy whipping cream in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and let sit for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth. If needed, microwave again in 15 second increments, whisking in between until the white chocolate has melted completely. Cover loosely and place in the refrigerator to cool, at least 30 - 35 minutes. (Mixture does not need to be completely chilled, just cool to the touch.)
- Meanwhile, chop the macadamia nuts and set aside.
- Next, peel the mangoes and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place them into a medium bowl. Add the brown sugar and lime juice. Stir to combine; continue stirring gently until the brown sugar begins to dissolve. Set aside.
- Once the white chocolate mixture has cooled, begin making the whipped cream. Add the remaining 2 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream and vanilla into a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form, about 4 - 5 minutes. With the mixer running, drizzle in the white chocolate mixture. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, another 1 - 2 minutes. Do not overmix, or the whipped cream will become grainy.
- Tear the angel food cake into bite-sized pieces. Layer the ingredients in a 96 ounce glass trifle dish or individual glasses in the following order starting from the bottom: (1) angel food cake, (2) mango (including any accumulated juice), (3) whipped cream, (4) macadamia nuts. Continue layering in this order until the ingredients have been used, finishing on mango.* However, be sure to reserve a small amount of the whipped cream to garnish the top, along with a sprinkling of the macadamia nuts.
*You will likely be able to create 3 - 4 layers, depending on the width of the dish you are using, and how thick or thin you want the layers to be.
The white chocolate whipped cream can be made up to one day ahead, stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Total time for the recipe is 50 minutes with 30 minutes prep time; there is about 20 minutes inactive time while waiting for the white chocolate to cool in the fridge.
Keywords: trifle, mango trifle, angel food cake trifle, mango trifle recipe