Lemon Herb Roasted Asparagus
Roasted asparagus tossed with a quick dressing with fresh lemon, herbs and garlic. An easy and quick side that's way more interesting than regular roasted asparagus!
- Author: Kate
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: roast
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 pound (454 g) fresh asparagus
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided (see note 1 for oil alternatives)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste, plus more for sprinkling
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup (16 g) finely chopped fresh herbs (see note 2 for herb suggestions)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- optional garnish: additional fresh herbs and lemon slices
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Rinse the asparagus and blot them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Trim the woody ends off the asparagus. Place the trimmed asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle the 2 teaspoons oil over the asparagus and toss gently to coat. Spread the asparagus out evenly on the baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast until the asparagus are tender and slightly browned on the tips. Very thin asparagus may take about 7 - 9 minutes. Medium asparagus may take about 9 - 11 minutes, and very thick asparagus may take about 11 - 13 minutes. Based on these guidelines, begin checking on the asparagus a few minutes before you expect them to be finished to avoid overcooking them. Cook times will vary based on your oven, the size of the asparagus, and personal preference (how tender you like the asparagus).
- While the asparagus are roasting, prepare the dressing ingredients. First, finely chop the fresh herbs and mince the garlic clove. Zest the lemon and measure out 1/2 teaspoon. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out 2 tablespoons of juice into a small bowl.
- In the same small bowl, add in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon zest, minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Whisk together until evenly combined. Add in the finely chopped herbs, stir with a spoon to combine. Set aside.
- When the asparagus are finished roasting, remove them from the oven but leave them on the baking sheet. Give the dressing another stir, and then drizzle about 3/4 of the dressing over the asparagus. Toss gently with tongs to coat the asparagus with the dressing.
- Remove the asparagus to a serving platter, and drizzle the remaining dressing over top. Garnish with additional fresh herbs and lemon slices (optional) and serve immediately.
- I used extra virgin olive oil to both roast the asparagus and for the dressing. If you don't like roasting with extra virgin olive oil, you can use any other neutral oil, like vegetable oil, canola oil, etc. But, I do really recommend extra virgin olive oil for the dressing if you've got it, because it really enhances the flavor of the dressing. Otherwise, you can use your favorite oil for making dressings.
- Dill, chives, parsley, cilantro, mint, basil, scallions, cilantro, or a combination of any of these would work well. Although, if using mint, you may want to mix it with another herb because the flavor is rather strong (unless you really like mint!). Avoid woodier herbs like rosemary and thyme because these can also be overpowering.
- Kosher salt is coarse grained; if you want to substitute fine grain salt, use a little less than the 1/2 teaspoon called for in the dressing.
- The nutrition information below was calculated to include a total of 1 teaspoon kosher salt in the entire recipe (including the dressing and salt sprinkled on the asparagus). This nutrition information is an estimate only, provided by an online nutrition calculator, and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice. See our full disclosure policy.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 105
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 284 mg
- Fat: 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted asparagus, lemon herb asparagus