A deliciously savory breakfast casserole with Italian sausage and three kinds of Italian cheeses!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more to grease pan
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16 ounces (454 g) Italian sausage (bulk or removed from casing)
- 4 cups (116 g) cubed soft bread (about 3/4 inch (1.9 cm) cubes)
- 12 ounces (340 g) shredded low-moisture mozzarella
- 4 ounces (113 g) chopped sharp Provolone (can substitute shredded Parmesan)
- 1 cup (248 g) ricotta cheese
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to brown, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- If needed, remove the sausage from the casing. Add the loose sausage to the pan and break up into smaller chunks with a wooden spoon. Cook until the sausage is browned, about 4 - 5 minutes. As it cooks, stir the sausage occasionally and continue to break it up into smaller pieces. If the onion is browning too much, turn the heat down. (See note 1 for a time-saving tip.)
- When the sausage is browned, turn the heat off and remove the pan from the hot burner.
- Add the ricotta cheese to a large bowl. Whisk it until it is no longer lumpy, then crack three of the eggs into the bowl and whisk to combine. When this mixture is smooth, add the rest of the eggs and whisk again to combine.
- Add the bread cubes, sausage and onion mixture, black pepper, and Provolone and mozzarella cheeses to the bowl, but reserve about 1 ½ cups of the mozzarella cheese for the top of the casserole. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined and the bread cubes are fully moistened in the egg mixture.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) pan with oil or nonstick cooking spray. Add the casserole mixture to the greased pan. Even out the top with the wooden spoon, then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the eggs are set. Serve immediately. (See note 2 for re-heating instructions.)
If you would like to save time on prep, you can cube the bread and chop/shred the cheeses while the onion and sausage is cooking (rather than prepping all the ingredients ahead of time). Just make sure to watch the pan and stir occasionally!
If you want to serve the casserole later: after baking, allow to cool on the counter for 10 minutes. Then, cover the casserole with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to two days. When ready to serve, bake the covered casserole in a preheated 350 degree F (177 degree C) oven for 20 - 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and the casserole is warmed through. (To avoid thermal shock which could damage some types of glass or ceramic casserole dishes, let the casserole warm to around room temp first before placing in the preheated oven.)
The nutrition information below is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator, and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice. See our full nutrition disclosure policy.
- Serving Size: 1/12 recipe
- Calories: 388
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 669 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.9 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 25.3 g
- Cholesterol: 259 mg
Keywords: Italian-style breakfast casserole, Italian breakfast casserole