An easy to make single serve holiday dessert that's delicious topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons (23 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) milk
- 5 tablespoons (57 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- Place butter in a microwave-safe mug and microwave 30 seconds on high or until melted.
- Add molasses, milk, and sugar to the melted butter and whisk together with a fork or small whisk until evenly combined.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the mug gradually, whisking in between each addition, until smooth.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds. If the top of the mug cake is still wet, microwave in 10 second bursts until the top of the cake is just set.
If you would like to substitute salted butter for the unsalted butter, omit the pinch of salt from the recipe.
Be sure to use a microwave-safe mug that holds at least 12 ounces (355 ml) to make sure the batter doesn't overflow while it cooks. You can also place the mug onto a microwave-safe plate to catch any potential drips.
If you want to unmold the mug cake after it's cooked, swirl the melted butter around the sides of the mug before adding the other ingredients. This will help it from sticking as much!
If your baking powder is pebbly, break it apart with your fingers or a fork before adding to the other ingredients. Any unmixed chunks of baking powder will taste bitter in the finished cake.
The nutrition information below is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator, and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice. See our full disclosure policy.
- Serving Size: 1 mug cake
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 35.4 g
- Sodium: 196 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 69.3 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
Keywords: gingerbread mug cake