This delicious and simple tomato cucumber salad is bursting with fresh summer flavors and can be made in fifteen minutes or less!
- 2 pounds tomatoes (about six cups when cut into large chunks)
- 1 English cucumber (see notes)
- 1/2 medium-sized red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (basil, parsley, dill, chives etc.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Mix the kosher salt, mayonnaise, and Greek yogurt in a large bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut out the stem end of each tomato, then cut in half horizontally. Scoop out the seeds and pulp. Cut the tomatoes into large chunks and add to the large bowl with the dressing.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into large chunks. Add to the bowl.
- Slice the red onion thinly and add to the bowl.
- Chop the herbs and add to the bowl.
- Mix the salad together with a large spoon until the dressing has evenly coated the vegetables. Serve immediately or store in the fridge, tightly covered, for a few hours before serving.
You can also use a regular cucumber, but you may want to peel and de-seed it first to reduce bitterness.
To my tastes, 1 teaspoon kosher salt in the dressing was the perfect amount for a well-seasoned but not overly salty salad. However, because seasoning is subjective, you may wish to start with less salt, then taste the mixed salad and sprinkle in more if needed.
For the best flavor and maximum freshness, serve the salad the same day it's made. However, you can store the salad in the fridge, tightly covered, and enjoy for 2 - 3 days.
Keywords: tomato salad, tomato cucumber salad, creamy tomato salad, creamy cucumber salad