You can use berries straight from the freezer, plus a few other basic pantry ingredients, to make an indulgent, rich and fudgy cake with a tangy and sweet berry sauce at the bottom of the mug!
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon all purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil (canola oil, vegetable oil, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (any kind)
- Optional pre-step: If you want to unmold the mug cake rather than eating it right from the mug, spray the inside of the mug with non-stick cooking spray or grease it with oil or butter.
- In a large, microwave-safe mug, add the frozen berries, 1/2 tsp. flour and 2 tsp. sugar. (If using strawberries, cut up any large ones into bite-sized pieces before adding.) Stir well to combine, there should be no remaining pockets of dry flour or sugar at the bottom of the mug.
- Cover the mug with a folded paper towel to avoid splatter. Microwave the berry mixture on high for 45 seconds, or until the berries are juicy and warm (they do not need to be hot, just not cold!). Stir the berry mixture again and set the mug aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small bowl, combine the remaining flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, and pinch of salt.
- Add the oil and milk to the dry ingredients and whisk well with a fork until most of the lumps are gone. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the cake batter over top of the berry mixture. Do not stir. Replace the paper towel on top of the mug and microwave again on high for 90 seconds. Check the top and sides of the mug cake. If you see any wet batter remaining, microwave again in 10 second increments until the cake is cooked through. When checking for wet batter, make sure you aren’t looking at a melted chocolate chip instead! (My cake needed the extra 10 seconds after the initial 90.)
- Unmold the cake onto a plate or bowl, or enjoy straight out of the mug!
Keywords: chocolate berry mug cake, chocolate mug cake, berry mug cake, easy mug cake, microwave dessert, single serve chocolate dessert