An easy side dish that only takes 10 minutes to prep. Like a soft bread pudding, but savory, with lots of sharp cheddar flavor!
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste (optional)
- 8 oz. (by weight) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 7 slices soft white sandwich bread
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 2 quart shallow casserole dish, set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl. With a whisk, beat the eggs until they are slightly frothy.
- Add in the milk, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt and cayenne. Whisk until combined.
- Tear the bread into chunks, about 1 inch in size. Add the bread chunks and finely shredded cheese into the egg and milk mixture. Gently stir with a large spoon, breaking up any large clumps of cheese, until combined and the bread is fully soaked in the liquid.
- Pour the mixture into the greased casserole dish. Spread the bread chunks evenly throughout the dish and smooth down the top if needed.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pudding is set and the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. (Pudding should not be completely firm – it should have a slight jiggle still!)
- Let the pudding stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from The Art of Southern Cooking, by Mildred Evans Warren (1969).
Keywords: cheese pudding, cheese and bread pudding, sides, easy sides, easy side dish