30 Minute Chipotle Chicken Tacos are spicy, a bit sweet, saucy and topped with a creamy chipotle lime sauce.
For chipotle chicken:
- 1 tbsp. neutral oil (canola, vegetable, grapeseed, etc.)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion (preferably sweet onion)
- ¼ c. canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (for medium level heat, can add more or less depending on your taste)
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional)
- ¼ c. water
- juice of 1 – 2 limes (depending on your taste and how juicy your limes are)
- warm corn or flour tortillas (see notes 1 – 2)
For creamy chipotle lime sauce:
- ⅓ c. mayo
- ⅓ c. plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ½ tsp. salt
- juice of ½ – 1 lime (depending on your taste and how juicy your limes are)
- 2 ½ tsp. liquid from can of chipotle peppers (see note 2)
- 1 tbsp. water
- lime wedges
- shredded cabbage
- black beans
- shredded cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. While the pan is heating up, trim excess fat from chicken thighs if necessary and sprinkle chicken with salt on both sides.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken thighs. Cook the chicken on the first side for 3 – 4 minutes or until lightly browned, flip and cook for another 2 -3 minutes or until browned. While the chicken is cooking, chop the onion into roughly ½ inch pieces. When the chicken has browned on both sides, remove onto a cutting board and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the hot pan and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 3 minutes, or until slightly browned on edges and softened. When done cooking, turn off the heat but keep the pan on the stove.
- If you have a stick (immersion) blender: remove onion and place into a small, straight sided heat proof container (like a 2 cup glass measuring cup or wide-mouth jar). Or, place the onion in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- To the container with the onion, add the remaining chipotle chicken ingredients (except tortillas). Blend until mostly smooth (ok if there is some texture in the sauce, it doesn’t need to be completely smooth).
- Chop the chicken into small pieces.
- Heat the same pan over medium heat. Add the chopped chicken and sauce into the pan. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the excess liquid has absorbed from the sauce and the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk all the chipotle cream sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve with warm tortillas and toppings of your choice.
- You can warm your tortillas in the oven or microwave. If you want to use the oven, wrap tortillas in foil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees right before starting to cook. When the oven is preheated, place tortillas in the oven while you finish making the recipe. They should be warm by the time the chicken is ready to eat.
- If you want to use the microwave to heat the tortillas, wrap a stack of 6 (or less) in wet paper towels, place on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave on high for 30 seconds. If they need more time, microwave for another 15 seconds. Microwaving should be done right before you are ready to serve the tacos.
- If you want more heat in your sauce, you can mince ½ to 1 whole chipotle pepper and add it to the sauce along with the juice.
Keywords: tacos, chicken, chipotle, lime