A hearty, well-seasoned soup that will warm you right up in cold weather!
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 c.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes (about 4 c.)
- 1 c. long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 6 – 8 c. broth, any type (turkey, chicken, beef, etc.)
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and ground turkey. Stir and cook for 2 – 3 minutes, breaking up the ground turkey into small chunks with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, paprika, coriander and cumin. Continue to cook for an additional 2 – 3 minutes or until the turkey is no longer pink and the onions are softened.
- Add in the sweet potato chunks and rice. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in 6 cups of broth and turn the heat to high to bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling, turn the heat down to maintain a gentle boil, partially covering the pot with a lid (leave about a 1 – 2 inch opening).
- Gently boil the soup for 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the sweet potato chunks are tender. Check on the soup periodically during the cook time. If most of the liquid has been absorbed, stir in some additional broth.
- Taste the soup and add more salt and/or pepper if needed. If needed, thin the soup out with more broth.
Keywords: turkey sweet potato soup, turkey rice soup, turkey sweet potato rice soup, sweet potato rice soup