All the cinnamon sugar flavor of your favorite snickerdoodle, in a quick and easy mug cake!
1. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar. Set aside.
2. Place the butter into a large, microwave-safe mug. Place a folded paper towel on top (to catch any spatter) and microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until the butter is melted. Carefully swirl the melted butter around the sides of the mug (you only need to get the butter about half-way up the sides of the mug).
3. Pour the melted butter, along with the milk and vanilla into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix together with a fork or small whisk just until no lumps remain (do not overmix!).
4. In a separate small bowl, mix together the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the mixture on the bottom and sides of the mug, turning the mug as you sprinkle; the cinnamon sugar will stick to where the butter was swirled inside the mug.
5. Pour about half the batter into the mug, then sprinkle on another 1/3 of the cinnamon sugar evenly on top. Then, pour the remaining batter in the mug, smoothing the top if needed. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture evenly on top.
6. Microwave the mug cake on high for 90 seconds. Check the cake; if there is still wet batter on top, microwave again in 10 second increments until the cake is cooked through. Either unmold the cake onto a plate or bowl, or serve right from the mug. Top with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon if desired!
If your baking powder is pebbly, break it apart with your fingers or a fork before adding to the other ingredients. Getting a little piece of baking powder in the finished cake will taste quite bitter!
Use a mug that is at least 12 ounces to make sure the batter doesn’t overflow while it cooks. If you are worried, place the mug onto a microwave-safe plate to catch any potential drips. And of course, make sure the mug is microwave-safe also!
If the cake won't release from the mug when flipped over, run a butter knife around the edges to loosen the cake.
Keywords: mug cake, snickerdoodle, snickerdoodle cake, snickerdoodle mug cake