A deliciously comforting meatloaf with oozy mozzarella cheese and a thick tomato sauce coating.
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef (85% or 90% lean)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 c. finely chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 slices white sandwich bread
- 8 oz. low-moisture mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the finely chopped onion and garlic, ground beef, egg, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to a large bowl.
- Soak the bread in water until it’s saturated, and squeeze out the excess water. The bread should be very moist and very easy to break apart, but not dripping wet. Tear the bread into chunks and add it to the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together until they are evenly incorporated, but do not over mix. Add in the mozzarella cubes and mix again just until the cheese is distributed throughout the ground beef mixture.
- For easier cleanup, line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Place the meatloaf mixture onto the pan and shape it into a loaf, about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide. Bake in the 400 degree preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking, mix together the tomato sauce and tomato paste in a small bowl.
- After 25 minutes, remove the meatloaf from the oven. With a spoon or rubber spatula, spread the tomato sauce mixture over the top and sides of the meatloaf. Place back in the oven and bake for another 20 – 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches at least 160 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
Keywords: Italian meatloaf, easy meatloaf, Italian meatloaf with cheese, easy Italian meatloaf