This slow cooker beef stew is easy to make and has a thick, hearty gravy that is perfect for sopping up with crusty bread!
- 1 ½ lb. beef stew meat, cut into cubes
- 1 large (or 2 small) russet potatoes
- 1 large (or 2 small) onions (any type)
- 2 large or 3 small carrots
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 ¾ c. canned crushed tomatoes (½ of a 28 oz. can)
- Peel the potato and carrot if desired. Cut potato, carrot, onion, and celery into 1 inch pieces. Add these to a 6 quart size slow cooker along with the stew meat.
- Sprinkle flour, salt, thyme and pepper over the vegetables and meat. Crush the rosemary between your fingers into smaller pieces and add it to the stew ingredients. Toss to combine, until the flour evenly coats the ingredients and there is very little loose flour settled on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes over the top of the stew ingredients, stir gently to combine.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours (see note). Stir, taste the gravy and add additional salt and pepper if necessary. The gravy will continue to thicken as it cools.
If you have the time, cooking on low for 8 hours yields beef that is a bit more tender, but 4 hours on high will still result in a delicious stew!
Keywords: beef, stew, slow cooker, crock pot