Chicken thighs are marinated in a simple balsamic vinegar, honey and olive oil marinade. A quick 30 minute marinade is all you need for deliciously tangy and slightly sweet chicken that’s tender and juicy.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. honey
- neutral oil (vegetable, canola, etc.) to coat the grill
1. Trim any excess fat off the chicken thighs.
2. Place chicken thighs, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt inside a gallon zip top bag (see note 1). Remove air from the bag and seal. Massage the bag to incorporate the marinade ingredients and ensure all surfaces of the chicken are coated. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or more (see note 2).
3. When you are about ready to cook, preheat the grill on medium high heat for ten minutes. While the grill is heating, remove the chicken thighs from the marinade and pat both sides with paper towels. Right before grilling, wipe the grill grates with a paper towel soaked in neutral oil (hold the paper towel using tongs).
4. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and grill for another 5 – 6 minutes, or until the temperature of each thigh (taken at the thickest part) reaches 165 or within a few degrees of 165. (See discussion in blog post How Do I Know When My Chicken is Done? for more information on carryover cooking.)
5. If the chicken still needs more time but is getting too dark, flip the chicken again and cook for another 2 minutes, or until it reaches the proper temperature.
6. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and serve. (If you pulled your chicken thighs from the grill before they reached 165, take the temperature of the thighs again at the thickest part to make sure they reached 165 degrees.)
- If you don’t want to use a zip top bag, place the vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and stir to evenly coat the chicken in the marinade. Cover the bowl with tin foil or plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinate.
- Marinating for 30 minutes is all you need for well flavored chicken, but if you want you can marinate longer, up to 8 hours.
Keywords: grilled chicken, grilled chicken thighs, marinated chicken thighs, balsamic marinated chicken thighs, balsamic chicken