Bring the county fair straight into your kitchen with these delightful little morsels that taste just like a cheesy corn dog. Easy and quick to make (and eat!).
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. corn meal
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. milk
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 4 hot dogs
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or your favorite type)
- Optional garnishes: ketchup, mustard, pickle slices
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, corn meal, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a medium bowl. Add in the milk and oil. Whisk until no lumps remain; set aside.
- Cut each hot dog crosswise into 6 pieces even pieces, for a total of 24 pieces. Cut the cheese slices into quarters, for a total of 24 pieces. Set aside.
- Either spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin with nonstick spray, grease with butter or oil, or line with paper liners. Evenly distribute the cornbread batter into the cups of the muffin tin.
- Place one hot dog piece into the middle of each cup of batter. Press down so the top of the hot dog is as even as possible with the batter. (Depending on the length and width of your hot dog pieces, you may achieve a flatter result by placing the hot dog piece on its side versus cut-side up.)
- Top each muffin with a square of cheese.
- Bake for 10 – 13 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted and bubbly and the cornbread batter has puffed up on the edges and is firm. Remove from the tin as soon as the muffins are cool enough to handle and serve immediately with ketchup, mustard, and pickle slices (optional).
Keywords: mini corn dogs, mini corn dog muffins, corn dog muffins, cheesy corn dog muffins, cheesy mini corn dog muffins