The county fair is coming up soon where I live. This got me thinking about all my favorite fair foods – giant buckets of french fries, funnel cakes, and yes, corn dogs! Most of these foods are special because they are hard to make from scratch at home. But, you can make these Cheesy Mini Corn Dog Muffins easily at home, and in about thirty minutes. Bring the fun of the county fair straight into your own kitchen!
These Cheesy Mini Corn Dog Muffins are so great because, although they are easy to make (no deep frying over here!), they give you all that amazing corn dog flavor! Plus, a bubbly cheesy top crust just for an extra special touch. You can garnish these mini corn dog muffins any way you like: ketchup, mustard, pickles, or just eat them straight up.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through the link, it won’t cost you more but I may earn a small commission. I only recommend products that I personally use and love!
Cheesy Mini Corn Dog Muffins Ingredients
The ingredients are pretty simple. For the corn dog base, you just need corn meal, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk and oil. And then hot dogs and cheese of course! I used sharp cheddar because I’m into that, but you can choose any type of sliced cheese you like. Although, I recommend full-fat cheese because I cannot guarantee a pleasing texture from fat free cheese when it’s baked in the oven!
How to Make Cheesy Mini Corn Dog Muffins
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make Cheesy Mini Corn Dog Muffins:
Step One: Mix the Cornbread Batter
(But first a pre-step: preheat the oven to 350 degrees!)
Making the cornbread batter is very straightforward. All you need to do is add the dry ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together.
Then pour in the milk and oil and whisk again until smooth. Set aside.
Step Two: Cut Hot Dogs and Cheese
Since we are making these in a 24 cup mini muffin tray, we need 24 pieces of hot dog and 24 pieces of cheese. So, start with cutting the four hot dogs into 6 pieces each.
I like to cut them in half lengthwise first, and then cut each half into thirds. Doing it this way helps me get more even pieces than if I just try to estimate what 1/6 of a hot dog would look like and start cutting.
Then cut the six pieces of cheese into quarters. Easy!
Step Three: Assemble the Cheesy Mini Corn Dog Muffins
Grab your 24 cup mini muffin tray. Either spray it with cooking spray, grease it with oil/butter, or use paper liners.
Spoon the batter into each muffin cup. The batter should just about come to the top edge. Then press one piece of hot dog down into the center of the batter.
Depending on the length and width of the hot dogs you have, you can decide whether to lay the piece on its side or place cut-side up. You are just looking for the hot dog to be able to sink in as far down into the muffin cup as possible and not stick out too far. Because my hot dogs were long and skinny, it was better for me to lay them on their sides.
Once you’ve got your hot dog pieces in place, top each muffin with a square of cheese. Here is what they look like ready to go in the oven:
Step Four: Bake
Just pop the tray into your preheated 350 degree oven and bake for between 13 – 15 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted and bubbly and the sides of the cornbread batter have puffed up around the edges. It should look something like this!
Step Five: Remove from Tray and Garnish (Optional!)
I found it was easier to remove the muffins from the tray as soon as you are sure you won’t burn your hands, and definitely before the cheese has completely set. If you wait too long and they are kind of stuck together, I found cutting the cheese edges apart with kitchen shears worked really well!
If you want to, you can add ketchup and mustard as a garnish, or add a bread and butter (or your favorite type) of pickle with a toothpick, like I did here. Some nice garnish really elevates this simple snack food into something party-worthy!
If you’ve tried this Garlic Herb Baked Turkey Meatballs recipe, please let me know what you thought about it in the comments down below, I would love to hear from you! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see more delicious recipes from Nibble and Dine!
And do you need another easy appetizer recipe? While you have out your mini muffin tray, check out my recipe for Goat Cheese and Dill Tarts!Print
Bring the county fair straight into your kitchen with these delightful little morsels that taste just like a cheesy corn dog. Easy and quick to make (and eat!).
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. corn meal
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. milk
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 4 hot dogs
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or your favorite type)
- Optional garnishes: ketchup, mustard, pickle slices
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, corn meal, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a medium bowl. Add in the milk and oil. Whisk until no lumps remain; set aside.
- Cut each hot dog crosswise into 6 pieces even pieces, for a total of 24 pieces. Cut the cheese slices into quarters, for a total of 24 pieces. Set aside.
- Either spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin with nonstick spray, grease with butter or oil, or line with paper liners. Evenly distribute the cornbread batter into the cups of the muffin tin.
- Place one hot dog piece into the middle of each cup of batter. Press down so the top of the hot dog is as even as possible with the batter. (Depending on the length and width of your hot dog pieces, you may achieve a flatter result by placing the hot dog piece on its side versus cut-side up.)
- Top each muffin with a square of cheese.
- Bake for 10 – 13 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted and bubbly and the cornbread batter has puffed up on the edges and is firm. Remove from the tin as soon as the muffins are cool enough to handle and serve immediately with ketchup, mustard, and pickle slices (optional).
Keywords: mini corn dogs, mini corn dog muffins, corn dog muffins, cheesy corn dog muffins, cheesy mini corn dog muffins