Grilled cheese with all the flavors of your favorite calzone – creamy ricotta, melty mozzarella, and a Parmesan cheese crust on the outside of the bread!
- 2 slices thick-cut, crusty bread
- 1 – 2 tbsp. softened butter
- 1/3 c. ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- large pinch salt and pepper
- 6 slices pepperoni (see note)
- 2 tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- tomato sauce for dipping
- Mix together ricotta, mozzarella, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread half of the cheese filling on one slice of bread. Top cheese mixture with pepperoni or filling of choice (see note). Spread the remaining cheese mixture evenly over the filling. Top with the second slice of bread.
- Heat skillet on low heat for a minute while you finish prepping the sandwich. Spread softened butter on top slice of bread and sprinkle with half the Parmesan cheese. Press the Parmesan into the butter.
- Flip the sandwich, Parmesan side down onto the preheated skillet. Use a grill press or other weight to press down the sandwich while cooking (or use your spatula to compress). Cook on low for 5 – 7 minutes until the bottom of the sandwich is golden brown.
- Spread butter on the top slice of bread and sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan. Press the Parmesan into the butter. Flip the sandwich, replace the weight, and cook for an additional 4 – 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Cut sandwich in half and serve with tomato sauce on the side.
Other topping ideas in addition to or instead of pepperoni: grilled peppers, onions, or mushrooms; cooked crumbled sausage, ham, cooked spinach. Blot excess moisture from any vegetable before adding to avoid making the sandwich soggy.
Keywords: grilled cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella, ricotta, pepperoni, calzone